Thursday, April 15, 2010

Rivalry

One wouldn't expect a little white box and a couple of remotes to bring out the competitive nature in some people, but the Nintendo Wii has this power. I have a couple of friends who get pretty intense when playing certain games, specifically the fighting type. It started my freshman year of college with a 3D fighter where you can fly around the arena. You have to actually use the Wii-mote to do the super moves in the game as well as shaking them up and down trying to out-shake your opponent. This can get heated at times, often we will get up off the couch and be borderline roaring at the screen

My friend and I started playing the game in the common room in our dorm and at a certain point we began to amass an audience. The battles were entertaining like an action TV program and there were over 100 different characters to play as.

Recently Capcom has released a new 3D fighter that is on a 2D plane. So it plays like old school Marvel vs Capcom, if you know what that is... only it has old Japanese cartoon characters instead of Marvel ones. It is very very addictive, you can choose two characters and tag in and out working with the unique talents of each. Its nice too because you only have to use the Wii-mote turned sideways and two other buttons, which makes it very easy to just pick up and play.

As it turns out this game has caused my friend and I to play it repeatedly until we got good enough to just click random and be able to play with whatever character we received. Although the initial heat has died down after having the game for a couple weeks, but its only a matter of time until the next new competitive phenomenon appears.

6 comments:

  1. I am not into video games that much personally, however i def understand the effects that it has on a lot of people. My little brother (11) has the Wii...nintendo ds, you name it. But he constantly plays it. My boyfriend everytime he goes home to Charlotte is obsessed with playing COD (maybe b/c he doesn't have it here) but literally he plays it for like 4 hours a day while i just sit there and do random things....haha i think overall its just important to not make video games your life

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was never that into video games until Mario Party 8 came out for the Wii. Almost every night my boyfriend, his best friend and I would literally play at least one round. We played it so much that it got to the point where we were all sooo good that there really wasn't much of a competition anymore. Then Mario Kart came out and we started playing that non stop. It was bad because an hour would go by without any of us realizing it. I went from almost no video games to being addicted.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You’ve got to love video games. I am a very competitive person in general, and any type of video game will draw that out of me. Growing up my brothers and I would always play the sports games and take them just a serious as if it were a real game. Several times the loser would storm out of the room after it was over. This also caused some dents in the walls and many broken controllers.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the Wii! I get really competitive when it comes to the competition games like Wii Sports and Mario Kart. My brother and I are the worst when we play each other. There is a lot of yelling...especially when it comes to Wii Sports Tennis. Mario Kart is the favorite among my roommates. We sit and play it for hours.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm not the biggest video game person, but when I do play I am super competitive (maybe that's why I don't play as much). And the Wii makes competition so much better because you are really interacting with your competitor. When I do play video games, Wii tennis is my favorite. My and my friends get way too into it and there has been an occasion or two where a backswing has landed on someones head. Got to love the Wii.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I did not understand why my brother and father were into playing the Sony Playstation. It was so boring to watch them go at it in Madden and NBA Live. However now I get a glimpse of what they were experience when they were playing the game when I play WII. I love Mario Karts and WII tennis. I just can't seem to get enough!

    ReplyDelete