Thursday, February 4, 2010

New Job. . . It Sure Beats Unemployment

After a full semester of unemployment and much time devoted to searching for a restaurant job I was beginning to get desperate. The money in my bank account was slowly dwindling down and I began to become concerned. I been to every restaurant that I would consider working at, omitting fast food places, and was starting to look at other forms of employment. It was then when I remembered my long time friend was working at the Calling Center on campus, so I figured "Why not give it a try". I mean, no where else seemed to be hiring, everyone was "accepting applications" but certainly not hiring.

Well let me tell you a bit about the calling center. This is the place where students working for the school call out to alumni and parents asking for them to make donations to different facets of the school. My job is to be one of the people calling out asking for money, which is interesting to say the least. We don't make commissions or anything like that, we are "student fundraisers" but its fine because there is a paycheck, something I've gone awhile without.

The hardest thing to get used to is trying to ask for donations and being faced with comments that it is hard to bounce back from. Comments like "I'm unemployed", "I'm putting two kids through college", "You people have been calling me every night", & "I'm not interested". Its hard to ask for donations when you already have been told that its not an option for them. You'll try to ask again and you can just hear their tone change as they reiterate why they can't donate. I'm not used to trying to talk to people and get money from them, even if the money is for a good cause, EX: the University, but its something I'm trying to get used to... and I have to, for the paycheck. It's a job for now and it sure beats unemployment.

PS: As an update to my previous post, the actor canceled on us... again. So we found a new actor and rescheduled a shoot for this Saturday. If all goes well we will be done completely with shooting after Saturday, then we will be deep into editing and creating the world the film takes place in. Wish us luck.
Here's a piece of concept art for the film just because pictures make posts better.

5 comments:

  1. Kudos to you! I get so nervous calling people I don't know except for when I am at work. There it is calling people to let them know a special order has come in or that their ding repair on their surfboard is finished. I don't ever answer calls from numbers I don't recognize on my cell phone though and if they don't leave a message, I don't call them back. I know it has to be hard dealing with the rejection and having people basically spit in your face. Like I said Kudos! That's a hard job to have to do because you have to take the rejection and then try to convince them otherwise. I know I couldn't do it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The job market completely sucks right now, especially because we are college students without much experience to get the dream job we actually want. When it comes to the restaurant industry; if you have a job at a restaurant, why would you want to leave it!? I am working at Sticky Fingers right now and the place has completely changed from what it used to be since I started there. It might be someone else’s cup of tea, but for me I cannot stand it. I found another job (hopefully) and my two closest friends that worked with me there just left; so if you are looking for a restaurant job, I would suggest going there. They ARE hiring.

    Anyway, I understand how tough it is to be a somewhat of a telemarketer even if it is for a good cause. It does suck. Eventually you will find that one family that found the experience for their son or daughter that they would want to give a big check to UNCW. At least you are not going on commission! Good luck with the continuance on the job!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations on getting a job! My roommate used to work for that same place and he didn't do so well. Cold calls are rough, but it is all how you look at it. You may get 100 people that don't want to give you money, but when you get one person who decides to make a contribution, it will feel great! In this economy, we can't be too picky about jobs. At least you don't have to ask "Do you want fries with that?" Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  5. good for you!! too many people complain about not having a job bc they're holding out for just what they want - cold calls are the worst in any area - let alone asking for money in this economy! but, you gotta do what you gotta do, right? someday, when you are settled in your career, you'll look back on all of these random jobs and smile :)

    ReplyDelete